Fifth Generation

18. John5 Timberman (Samuel4, William3, Christian2, Hans1) was born in Salem County, New Jersey. He married (1) Rebecca Ann Harris in New Jersey. She was born in New Jersey. He married (2) Elizabeth Williams January 1, 1844 in New Jersey. She was born in New Jersey.

Child of John Timberman and Rebecca Harris is:

    45 i. Samuel6 Timberman, born in New Jersey.

21. Mary5 Timberman (Samuel4, William3, Christian2, Hans1) was born February 2, 1811 in Salem County, New Jersey, and died February 12, 1894 in Salem County, New Jersey. She married Charles Hoagland Powell Jr., son of Charles Hoagland Powell Sr..

Child of Mary Timberman and Charles Powell is:

    46 i. Charles6 Powell, born in New Jersey.

24. Benjamin5 Timberman (Samuel4, William3, Christian2, Hans1) was born September 15, 1815 in Salem County, New Jersey. He married Phoebe Wright February 1839 in New Jersey. She was born in New Jersey.

Children of Benjamin Timberman and Phoebe Wright are:

    47 i. George6 Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    48 ii. Mary B. Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    49 iii. Elizabeth Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    50 iv. Ann Eliza Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    51 v. Harriet Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    52 vi. Samuel Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    53 vii. Sara Jane Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    54 viii. Phoebe B. Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    55 ix. Emma Timberman, born in New Jersey.

    56 x. Benjamin B. Timberman, born in New Jersey.

26. Harriet5 Timberman (Samuel4, William3, Christian2, Hans1) was born 1825 in Salem County, New Jersey. She married Moses Thomas in New Jersey. He was born in New Jersey.

Children of Harriet Timberman and Moses Thomas are:

    57 i. Samuel6 Thomas, born in New Jersey.

    58 ii. Moses Thomas, born in New Jersey.

30. Jonathon Nichols5 Timberman (Gideon4, Jacob3, Christian2, Hans1) was born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey. He married (1) Catherine Kniffin in Gloucester Co., New Jersey. He married (2) Mary Elizabeth Champion in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

Children of Jonathon Timberman and Catherine Kniffin are:

    59 i. Wetzel J.6 Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    60 ii. Ruth Ann Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    61 iii. Alvah B. Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    62 iv. Charles C. Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    63 v. Elijah E. Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    64 vi. Mary Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    65 vii. Sarah Elizabeth Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    66 viii. William E. Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

Children of Jonathon Timberman and Mary Champion are:

    67 i. John E.6 Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    68 ii. Kate Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

    69 iii. Annie Timberman, born in Gloucester Co., New Jersey.

31. Jacob5 Timberman ((Gideon4, Jacob3, Christian2, Hans1) was born August 18, 1809 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He married Ruth Ann Merritt May 1, 1834. She was born February 18, 1812.

Children of Jacob Timberman and Ruth Merritt are:

    70 i. Hannah Merritt6 Timberman, born May 1, 1834 in Somers, New York.

    71 ii. John Merritt Timberman, born October 8, 1835 in Somers, New York.

    72 iii. Jacob Oscar Timberman, born January 12, 1838 in Somers, New York; died 1880 in Somers, New York.

    73 iv. Gideon Nichols Timberman, born July 18, 1839 in Somers, New York.

    74 v. William Barton Timberman, born July 28, 1841 in Somers, New York.

    75 vi. James Edmond Timberman, born April 16, 1843 in Somers, New York; died August 24, 1850.

    76 vii. Delay Fletcher Timberman, born January 16, 1845 in Somers, New York.

    77 viii. Silas Henry Timberman, born July 28, 1846 in Somers, New York; died December 26, 1875.

    78 ix. Hannah Merritt Timberman, born August 5, 1848 in Somers, New York.

    79 x. Caroline Merritt Timberman, born November 7, 1851 in Somers, New York.

42. Isaiah Prophet5 Timberman (Christian4, Jacob3, Christian2, Hans1) was born October 15, 1829 in Gloucester County, New Jersey, and died April 1, 1891 in Oakland, Iowa. He married Elizabeth Murphy Cook November 25, 1852 in Cincinnati, Ohio, daughter of Zaccheus Cook and Mary Murphy. She was born April 15, 1833 in Oxford, Ohio, and died August 31, 1908 in Oakland, Iowa.


Isaiah Timberman, was born October 15, 1829, on a farm in Glouscester County, New Jersey, and was eight years of age when he went with his father to Ohio. He well remembers the trip by steamer down the Ohio, and also remembers the political campaign of 1840, called the Log Cabin and Hard Cider campaign, in which W.H. Harrison was elected President. He learned farming in early life, and at the age of sixteen he learned the trade of light carriage maker.

In March 1855, Mr. Timberman went to Kansas and took up 160 acres of Government land in Coffey County. This was in the midst of Kansas troubles, and on the road they were stopped and questiond by the Missourians, but allowed to go through. He remained in Coffey County until the great drouth of 1860, when he left there and came to Iowa, settling in Harrison County, where he lived two years. Here Mr. Timberman lost his left foot and leg, which were cut off by a mowing machine.

In 1863 he moved to Council Bluffs, and in 1868 came to Valley Township, which was then Center Township. He sold this place and came to his present farm of 160 acres in 1874. He has been greatly assisted in improving this farm by his faithful wife and sons. Mr. Timberman was a soldier in the late civil war for a short time, and did service at Fort Lincoln, Kansas, under the celebrated chief, General "Jim" Lane. He is a typical American pioneer, having struggled to make a home for himself and family, and well known as an honest man, whose word is as good as his bond.

He married November 25, 1850 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Miss E.M. Cook, daughter of Zaccheus and Mary (Murphy) Cook. The father was a native of New Jersey, and was a wool-carder by trade. He died when still a young man, and was the father of five children: Athalinda, Oliver, Rachel, Elizabeth and Amy. Mrs. Cook was a member of the Methodist church, and is yet living with her eldest daughter at the age of eighty six years.

Mr. and Mrs. Timberman were the parents of eleven children: Oliver Perry, Sarah J., Mary A., Alpha, Amy L. (deceased), John W., Charles H., James A., Edward F. and two who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Timberman are members of the Methodist Church and politically Mr. Timberman is a Republican.

Their daughter, Mary A., married Azro Boyd, and they have one son, Clarence O. She was again married to Albert Maxwell, a carpenter of Seattle, Washington, and by this marriage there is one child, Allen K. Sarah J. married William Maxwell, a farmer of Center Township, and they have three children: Amy P., Cloyd G. and Ivy M. Alpha married Monroe Maxwell, a farmer of Nebraska, and by this marriage there are two children: Goldie M. and Silvia J. John W. is a farmer of Valley Township, and is married to Mallie Morris. Oliver P., a farmer of Valley Township, was married to Ida Pollock, and they have one child, Ethel P.


Elizabeth M. Cook Timberman wrote the following letter to a niece in January 1905 when Elizabeth was 72 years old:

I, Elizabeth M. Cook, was married to Isaiah Timberman November 25, 1852 by Rev. George Nialey, at the home of my brother-in-law, J. S. Fountain, in Cincinnati, Ohio. From there we moved to Oxford, Ohio on a farm. We lived there two years, then the Kansas territory opened for settlement. We thought that would be a good place to make a start so we had a sale and got ready for the west. Our little boy, then nine months old, we started for Cincinnati. There we stayed three weeks, during that time all thought it better for me to stay behind until my husband could provide a home for me.

So on the 20th of March 1855 we bade each other farewell - him to go to a new country. I with a sad heart stayed behind waiting for the time when I could go to him. I made my home with the Fountains. We took in shop work and I earned my board that way, for we had very little money and what there was he needed. I don't know how I got through that summer, but here I am, after fifty years.

In September 1855 Oliver Perry was born, so you see I had my hands full and heart full too. I heard from my husband quite often. He landed in Kansas City in due time. He and another man, a Mr. Jones, bought a pony together and started out in the territory. One would ride awhile and then the other. Hearing of the Neocia River country-that was a good place to get claims, and they went there. They had to follow an Indian trail most of the way. After four days travel they landed at the Indian Agent's house-at what is now LeRoy. Three miles east of LeRoy they staked out their claims. The land was nearly all claimed, but no one had moved on them yet, so forty miles was the nearest settlement, and that was Sox and Fox agency, so they went back to Kansas City the same way, bought a team and loaded up their provisions and started out again.

They worked on their claims making rails and cutting logs and built a little cabin. By that time my husband took the chills and was sick all summer. By this time there were plenty of neighbors, settled all around. October came and still he was sick and that was the last I heard from him until spring. I thought he was dead, but there were no railroads and the river froze up and forty miles to a post office-no chance to get mail. He was sick until Christmas. Then he was able to work. He worked for one of the neighbors, making rails. They boarded him. He walked three miles to his work, took dinner of cornbread and fat meat froze hard and slept in the wagon all winter. In the spring the long looked for news came. He was well and I must come. Jacob Fountain and I started for Kansas City on the boat, call the Emma. We were two weeks on the river. He was to meet us there but he didn't hear from us, so we waited two weeks for him and he came at last, thru all the border ruffians and cut throats with some surveyors. Well he was a comic picture, when I set my eyes on him-after fourteen months of absence. He had on buckskin pants-half way to the knee, with wooden soles nailed on his shoes, with six inches between his pants and shoes. His hair was hanging to his shoulders, with an old black hat without a brim. It was Sunday, too. We were all dressed up I our best, he thought he wouldn't be ashamed, but he was so ashamed, he didn't stay but a little while, long enough to take a good look at the little black eyed boy he had not seen. Jakie said, "Go away Man." Perry was then nine months old. He went back to his wagon and did not show up until next morning. Monday, we loaded up what goods we could store in our wagon and struck out for our new home. We had not gone very far till we met two drunk men. They stopped us and wanted to know where we were from. I said from Missouri. They said they are all right on the goose. So we went about seven miles and camped near a Baptist Mission.

It wasn't long until three or four hundred Missourians came and camped close to us. My husband went to them and asked if he could make coffee and fry meat on their fires. They said all right. The next morning the head ones came to me asked me if I wasn't afraid to go out in the territory. He says them Yankees are awful men but we fellows fix them. He pointed over the to the Church and says there are three or four now hanging on a tree.

We had no trouble getting through. We camped on night at the Indian Reservation. My husband hobbled the horses and turned them out to look out for themselves. The next morning he went to get them and the children and I were in the wagon. There rode up a whole lot of Indians, and peeped in at us. One Indian say Heep Pretty squaw, Heep Pretty Pappoose. My hair stood straight up on my head.

The fourth day we landed at our little cabin. I was glad to get to it, although it was not a very desirable residence. There was no floor in it. The door was made of clapboards. The chimney was built of mud about four feet high, as we could not haul a stove out I had to do my cooking on a fireplace. When the wind blew the smoke and ashes blew all over the house, but that didn't hurt the floor. The cracks between the logs were all open, sometimes the wolves would try to crawl in. This was in 1856. One morning as it was beginning to get light I heard a chicken squawk, I looked out of one of the cracks between the logs, I saw a big wolf rared up on the fence after a chicken. My husband jumped out of bed and grabbed his gun and out after the wolf in his nightclothes. The wolf ran and he ran. By this time it began to get pretty light, so he thought he had better be making tracks for home for his night dress wasn't extra long.

Well, we spent the summer and fall on our claim. Jakey and I took the chills and fever and had them all the time. We started back to Kansas City twice that summer after the rest of the goods but the border ruffians would not let them through. They said they were going to starve the Yankees out but when Old Jim Lane got in there they were glad to let the Yankees go. Late in the fall we left our claim and moved five miles up the river in a warm cabin where we had a chance to work, making rails all winter and I could go with him and work for my board. One day there were several Indians came packing in, wanted to swap for anything they saw. So I showed a nice quilt I made. They looked at the quilt and wrapped it around them. It was bright colors and they wanted it. I says "swap quilt for pony," So I got a Thirty dollar pony for it. Afterwards, they stole the pony, but the Indian agent got it back for us for a dollar. We traded the pony for seven acres of breaking and 10 hogs. Before we got ready to go to Mr. Heddens, (that was the people's name he was to make rails for), he had to make that trip to Kansas City. We had no crops that year and no money. Hew wanted to start the next day or so as soon as he could get something for me and children to eat. So he started on foot to Mr. Hayes three miles away to buy 50 cents worth of flour. They wouldn't let him have the flour unless he would stay and work. They wouldn't take the money. So I waited all day there was nothing in the house to eat, just hickory nuts, and we ate a good supper of them. I was alone in the wilderness two weeks with Indians prowling around. Some of the neighbors stayed with me nights. Little Jakey was sick a good deal of the time with the chills. We gave him medicine all the time but he kept the same. About a week after my husband came back from Kansas City, we waked one morning and found our little boy dead-between us. I could not describe our feelings when we made that awful discovery. After that we shut up our house and went to Mr. Haddens.

In the spring we moved back on our claim with a cow and provisions to last till the crop was planted. In two years time Coffee Co. Kansas was thickly settled. LeRoy built up fast. Could boast of a post office, saw mill, and gristmill besides a hanging bee now and then, when the vigilantes caught a horse thief. In four years time we had our claim all fenced, but the dry seasons was a draw back to Kansas. One year the wheat failed so we lived on corn bread on year. Not flour enough to make gravy, no coffee and no sugar. We sweetened up on sorghum molasses, and for lights we burned hickory bark in the fireplace. But all those had times did not discourage us, for we thought we would get a homestead after five years, but old Buchanon vetoed the bill, so most of the settlers were left almost destitute. As the land sales were forced on us and nothing raised in 1859, we sold our claim or traded it rather. Iowa was our next move.

We loaded our three children; (by this time we had two little girls, Sarah and Mary). In a covered wagon with two yoke of oxen. We left the place for good. We were three weeks on the road. On the first on November 1860, we landed at my brother-in-laws; Jake Fountain, in Harrison County. That spring we moved on what was called the fish lake farm, lived there two years.

The first year on the 20th of Sept. My husband met with the sad accident of having his foot cut off in a mowing machine. We moved to Crescent City, and kept hotel a year. Amy Lenora was born there, In 1863, we moved to Council Bluffs- lived there five years. Timberman followed teaming for a living. Then we had a chance to trade our house and lot for 40 acres of land with a little cabin on it, not much better than our Kansas City cabin. It had a floor and a dirt roof. When it rained the water would drop down. I expect you wonder how we all slept in one room 12 by 14 with 10 in the family. Well we built one bed over the other, steamboat fashion, three and four slept in a bed.

Mother used to come and see us quite often. One night when she was there it came up a hard storm and the rain poured down and the roof began to leak in her face. She raised up in bed and said, Timberman if I was in your place I would fix this roof. He says it rains so I can't. We lived there for four years. There is where Ed Tim was born, now a professor of penmanship and shorthand in Blair Business College in Spokane, Washington. From there we moved two miles east on land eighty acres, and there is where you visited us in 1877. By this time sons and daughters were born to us. When I was 44 years old I was the mother of eleven children, nine living at that time. As time went on the boys were growing up, and so we got another 80 acres of land, so they all worked on the farm till they were all grown up. By this time the three oldest girls were married.

The boys all had an ear for music, so they and some of the neighbor boys started a brass band. Clarence Boyd beat the bass drum, he was only 9 years old. Perry, Harve, and John were violin players, so you see we had plenty of music right at home. Amy Lenora, the youngest girl, was still at home. She taught school till her health failed and she died June 27th 1889, the same year in Nov. my husband was paralyzed on the side, 16 months after he had another stroke, lived two days and died April 1st 1891. By this time the children were married and scatted, so the old place that we lived on twenty years, we had to see fall into strangers hands.

Elizabeth M. Timberman
January 1905 72 years old

Children of Isaiah Timberman and Elizabeth Cook are:

    80 i. Jacob Fountain6 Timberman, born 1853 in Cincinnati, Ohio; died 1856 in Coffey Co., Kansas.

    + 81 ii. Oliver Perry Timberman, born September 28, 1855 in Cincinnati, Ohio; died October 11, 1921 in Oakland, Iowa.

    + 82 iii. Sarah Jane Timberman, born April 15, 1858 in Leroy, Coffey , Kansas; died May 14, 1932 in Oakland, Iowa.

    + 83 iv. Mary Ann Timberman, born February 5, 1860 in Leroy, Coffey Co., Kansas; died in California.

    + 84 v. Athalinda Alpha Timberman, born May 10, 1861 in Harrison, Iowa; died 1947 in Council, Bluffs, Iowa.

    85 vi. Amy Lenora Timberman, born August 8, 1863 in Crescent City, Iowa; died June 27, 1889 in Oakland, Iowa.

    + 86 vii. John William Timberman, born December 17, 1864 in Council Bluffs, Iowa; died November 30, 1945 in Los Angeles, California.

    + 87 viii. Charles Harve Timberman, born December 20, 1866 in Council Bluffs, Iowa; died March 13, 1959 in Everett, Washington.

    + 88 ix. James Albert Timberman, born September 5, 1868 in Oakland, Iowa; died June 27, 1925 in Massina Cass Co., Iowa.

    89 x. Edward Franklin Timberman, born January 4, 1871 in Oakland, Iowa; died March 12, 1955 in Hot Springs, South Dakota. He married Isabelle Meade April 6, 1899 in Iowa.


My grandfather, Charles Harve and his brother, Uncle Ed were the only ones I remember. They both lived with us for a long time. Uncle Ed was not very well liked by my Mother. She caught him peeing out of the upstairs bedroom window one time and he had other habits she did not care for. When we went to Oregon, she made it plain that he was not going with us!!! Mildred Roy told me the general opinion of him was that he was the laziest man alive and didn't have much use for him either.

Doris Van Bellinghen